Hemorrhoids are swollen and dilated veins in the walls of lower anus and rectum.
These veins are just like varicose veins. Hemorrhoids are also called piles.
Find Out More About Hemorrhoids
What are hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are swollen and dilated veins in the walls of lower anus and rectum. These veins are just like varicose veins. Hemorrhoids are also called piles. Hemorrhoids can be of following types:
- Internal hemorrhoids lie inside the rectum
- External Hemorrhoids lie beneath the skin around the anus
- Thrombosed Hemorrhoids result from pooled and thrombosed blood in external hemorrhoids
What are the signs and symptoms of hemorrhoids?
In some patient hemorrhoids show very little to no symptoms while in the others it presents with milder symptoms. However, it untreated, the symptoms might become worse over time. Following signs and symptoms are observed:
- Painless bleeding during bowel movements
- Itching or irritation in your anal region in case of external hemorrhoids
- Swelling around your anus
- Pain or discomfort
- A lump near your anus which might be painful as in case of thrombosed hemorrhoids
What causes hemorrhoids?
Following are the factors, basically which cause vascular stretching, which contribute in development of hemorrhoids:
- Straining during passage of stools
- Chronic constipation
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Anal intercourse
- Low-fiber diet
How do we diagnose hemorrhoids?
An experienced doctor can diagnose hemorrhoids by just doing a digital rectal examination or looking at it. Visual examination of hemorrhoids can be done with a
How do we treat hemorrhoids?
The treatment of hemorrhoids begins with conservative management which involves changes in lifestyle and diet. Following recedes are used in case of mild hemorrhoids:
- Eat high-fiber foods.
- Use topical treatments
- Soak regularly in a warm bath or sitz bath
- Apply cold
- Take oral pain relievers
Certain medications are also used along with remedies.
Following ENDOSCOPIC procedures are performed:
- Rubber band ligation of hemorrhoid
- THERMAL ABLATION
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Hemorrhoid removal
- Hemorrhoid stapling